TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Hurricane watches and warnings have been issued for parts of Florida’s east coast as Isaias continues to move over the Bahamas and toward the United States.
Tropical Storm Isaias strengthened to become a Category 1 hurricane overnight and lashed the southeastern Bahamas and Turks and Caicos with strong winds and heavy squalls on Friday. The National Hurricane Center issued a special advisory around midnight, saying Isaias had strengthened to a Category 1 hurricane.
The 5 p.m. ET update from the NHC says Isaias has wind speeds of 75 mph. It is expected to strengthen later Friday and early Saturday and is forecast to remain a hurricane in the coming days.
The latest forecast track has Isaias over or near the southeastern Bahamas. It is expected to reach the central Bahamas later Friday night. The forecast then brings it near or over the northwestern Bahamas and near the east coast of the Florida peninsula on Saturday afternoon through Sunday.
A Hurricane Warning has been issued for parts of the east coast of Florida – from Boca Raton to the Volusia/Brevard County line. A Hurricane Warning means hurricane conditions are expected
somewhere within the warning area within about 36 hours.
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Florida from Hallendale Beach to south of Boca Raton. A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area.
A Storm Surge Watch has been issued for Florida from the Jupiter Inlet to Ponte Vedre Beach.
The storm is expected to dump 2 to 4 inches of rain on South Florida and east-Central Florida from Friday night through Monday. The heavy rains could cause isolated flash and urban flooding.
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Boca Raton to the Volusia/Brevard County Line Florida
- Northwestern Bahamas
- Central Bahamas
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
- Hallendale Beach to south of Boca Raton Florida
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for:
- Jupiter Inlet to Ponte Vedre Beach Florida
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- North of Ocean Reef to south of Boca Raton Florida
- Lake Okeechobee
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- Flagler/Volusia County Line to Ponte Vedre Beach Florida
LATEST TRACKING THE TROPICS NEWS
- Tracking the Tropics: Experts update hurricane season forecast to ‘extremely active’ with 24 named storms
- Tropic storm Isaias whips up eastern US, killing at least 6
- Tracking the Tropics: Isaias bringing tornadoes, heavy rain, wind up east coast after landfall in North Carolina
- Tracking the Tropics: Isaias makes landfall in North Carolina
- Isaias weakens as it passes Palm Beach County coast