7:45 a.m. update — Hurricane makes landfall at Keaton Beach as a category 3 storm with maximum sustained winds of 125 mph.
6:55 a.m. update — Tornado warnings extended until 7:30 a.m. for Polk, Hardee, and Highlands counties
6:22 a.m. update — Tornado warnings extended for Polk, Hardee, and Highlands counties until 6:45 a.m.
6:06 a.m. update — Tornado warnings issued for Polk, Hardee, and Highlands counties until 6:30 a.m.
5:11 a.m. update — Hurricane Idalia now a Category 4; tornado warnings for Tampa Bay counties over
4:25 a.m. update — Tornado warnings issued for Hernando County and Citrus County until 5 a.m.
4:20 a.m. update — Tornado warnings issued for Polk County and Hardee County until 4:45 a.m.
4:02 a.m. update —Travel advisories issued for the Courtney Campbell Causeway and the Howard Frankland Bridge due to flooding.
3:05 a.m. update — Sunshine Skyway closed due to winds over 50 mph.
2 a.m. update — Hurricane Idalia reaches category 3 strength.
8:29 p.m. update — A tornado watch has been issued for 15 Florida counties until 6 a.m. This includes Hardee, Polk, Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Sarasota, Pinellas, Pasco, and Sarasota counties.
TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Florida’s Gulf coast is bracing for a hit from Hurricane Idalia, which is expected to impact the area as a major Category 3 storm.
Idalia’s outer bands began moving into the Tampa Bay area on Tuesday afternoon.
The storm is forecast to rapidly strengthen on Tuesday as it approaches the Big Bend region of the state, according to the National Hurricane Center. It is expected to make landfall on Wednesday.
As of this report, these are the active watches and warnings from Idalia.
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for:
- Englewood northward to Indian Pass, including Tampa Bay
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Middle of Longboat Key northward to Indian Pass, including Tampa
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
- Dry Tortugas Florida
- Chokoloskee northward to the Middle of Longboat Key
- West of Indian Pass to Mexico Beach
- Sebastian Inlet Florida to Surf City North Carolina
A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for:
- Bonita Beach northward to Englewood, including Charlotte Harbour
- Mouth of the St. Mary’s River to South Santee River South
- Beaufort Inlet to Drum Inlet North Carolina
- Neuse and Pamlico Rivers North Carolina
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for:
- Mouth of the St. Mary’s River to Edisto Beach South Carolina
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- Lower Florida Keys west of the west end of the Seven Mile Bridge
- North of Surf City North Carolina to the North Carolina/Virginia
- Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds
To view the latest forecast track, click on the live player above.
Are you prepared for Hurricane Idalia?
- Do I need to evacuate? Orders issued for several counties ahead of Idalia
- LIST: Tampa Bay area schools, colleges announce closures ahead of Hurricane Idalia
- LIST: Sandbag locations open in Tampa Bay area ahead of Hurricane Idalia