MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Manatee County officials have issued a mandatory evacuation for Zone A and B ahead of Hurricane Ian, according to its website.
Those who live in Zone C have been recommended to voluntarily evacuate further inland.
Manatee County Administrator Scott Hopes said he wants no one to die from the emergency.
“My goal, and the goal of every person here over the next 48 hours, is no fatalities, is no fatalities. None!” Hopes said. “I don’t want to see it in the newspaper. I don’t want to bear the burden that I didn’t do enough.”
Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Florida, also said residents need to remember the danger that the storm surges could pose, especially with them being projected to be up to 10 feet for some areas.
“You get to 10-foot surges, you’re going to have a lot of people hurt,” Buchanan said.
The following locations are emergency shelters for Manatee County residents:
- Bayshore Elementary School — 6120 26th Street West, Bradenton
- Braden River High School — 6545 Sr 70 East, Bradenton
- Braden River Middle School 6215 River Club Blvd, Bradenton
- Buffalo Creek Middle School 7320 69th Street East, Palmetto
- Daughtrey Elementary School 515 63rd Ave. East, Bradenton
- Freedom Elementary School 9515 State Road 64 East, Bradenton
- Gullett Elementary School 12125 44th Ave. East, Bradenton
- Haile Middle School 9501 State Road 64 East, Bradenton
- Harvey Elementary School 8610 115th Ave. East, Parrish
- Johnson-Wakeland School Of Ib 2121 26th Ave. East, Bradenton
- Kinnan Elementary School 3415 Tallevast Road, Sarasota
- Lee Middle School 4000 53rd Avenue West, Bradenton
- Manatee High School 902 33rd Street Court West, Bradenton
- Mcneal Elementary School 6325 Lorraine Road, Bradenton
- Miller Elementary School 601 43rd Street West, Bradenton
- Mills Elementary School 7200 69th Street East, Palmetto
- Myakka City Elementary School 37205 Manatee Ave., Myakka City
- Oneco Elementary School 5214 22nd Street Court East, Bradenton
- Prine Elementary School 3801 Southern Parkway, Bradenton
- Rodgers Garden Elementary School 515 13th Ave West, Bradenton
- Seabreeze Elementary School 3601 71st Street West, Bradenton
- Tillman Elementary School 1415 29th Street East, Palmetto
- Williams Elementary School 3404 Fort Hamer Road, Parrish
- Willis Elementary School 14705 The Masters Avenue, Bradenton
- Witt Elementary School 200 Rye Road, Bradenton
Not all shelters are pet-friendly. You can learn which ones are by visiting this page.
Signs along Cortez Blvd. and Manatee Ave. will be placed telling drivers there is “no westbound access” to the gulf islands beginning at 4 p.m. Tuesday. Utility crews will shut off potable water service to the barrier islands by sunset Tuesday to preserve the infrastructure.
“If you’re on the island, leave,” Hopes said.
The Manatee County Emergency Operations Center was put on a Level One activation at 8 a.m. Tuesday. The county had the following closures:
- Manatee County Parks and Preserves will be closed after the close of business Monday until further notice.
- Manatee County Public Libraries and animal welfare facilities will be closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Building and construction inspection services will be suspended Tuesday
- The Manatee County Area Transit fixed-route bus and trolley service will be suspended Tuesday at 6 p.m. MCAT Handy Bus service will be restricted to riders traveling to dialysis and chemotherapy appointments only on Monday and Tuesday
Information on sandbag distribution can be found here. Calls can also be made to 311.