NOAA predicting near-normal Atlantic hurricane season


TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) NOAA scientists are predicting a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season this year.

NOAA released its initial outlook for the upcoming season on Thursday at Washington National Airport.

The outlook forecasts a 40% chance for a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA scientists say there is a 70% chance that we will see nine to 15 named storms this hurricane season. Named storms have winds of 39 mph or higher.

Of the named storms, NOAA predicts four to eight will become hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher. That includes two to four major hurricanes. Major hurricanes are category 3, 4 or 5 storms with winds of 111 mph or higher.

The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1 and ends Nov. 30. 


Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss