TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – We’re less than two weeks away from hurricane season, and it’s already expected to be a busy one.
Forecasters with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center say a combination of several climate factors indicate the strong likelihood for above-normal activity in the Atlantic this year. They’re predicting a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
According to NOAA, there will likely be 13 to 19 named storms. Six to ten of them could become hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher. NOAA said three to six of those storms could become major Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricanes with winds of up to 111 mph or higher.
“As Americans focus their attention on a safe and healthy reopening of our country, it remains critically important that we also remember to make the necessary preparations for the upcoming hurricane season,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. “Just as in years past, NOAA experts will stay ahead of developing hurricanes and tropical storms and provide the forecasts and warnings we depend on to stay safe.”
An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, three of which become major hurricanes.
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.
- 30-year-old drowns while snorkeling in ‘Blue Sink’ spring in Palm Harbor
- Florida unemployment network creates ‘social media meal train’ to feed those still struggling on Thanksgiving
- Tampa kid with 2 failing kidneys desperately in need of a donor
- Disney announces more layoffs as Polk County’s unemployment rate begins to rebound
- Madeira Beach family homeless on Thanksgiving after Tropical Storm Eta