(AP) – Former race-car driver John Andretti has died at the age of 56 after battling colon cancer.
His death was announced by the IndyCar team Andretti Autosport owned by his cousin, Michael.
Andretti was a member of one of the world’s most famous racing families. Mario and Michael Andretti have been longtime fan favorites in the IndyCar Series and beyond. Mario Andretti is John’s uncle.
John Andretti carved out his own niche by becoming the first driver to attempt running the Indianapolis 500 and Charlotte’s 600-mile NASCAR race on the same day.
- Polk County principal dies suddenly at 50, remembered as compassionate leader of Bok Academy South
- Man accused of hiding in Hernando teen’s bedroom for month sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Canadian PM Trudeau follows through with bet after Lightning Stanley Cup win
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital re-activates no visitor policy due to rise in COVID-19 cases
- Walmart requiring vaccination, masks for many employees