(AP) – Former race-car driver John Andretti has died at the age of 56 after battling colon cancer.
His death was announced by the IndyCar team Andretti Autosport owned by his cousin, Michael.
Andretti was a member of one of the world’s most famous racing families. Mario and Michael Andretti have been longtime fan favorites in the IndyCar Series and beyond. Mario Andretti is John’s uncle.
John Andretti carved out his own niche by becoming the first driver to attempt running the Indianapolis 500 and Charlotte’s 600-mile NASCAR race on the same day.
- Trooper injured, armed robbery suspects arrested in multi-county chase
- WFLA hosting 12th annual Kindness Day Friday, Dec. 11
- LIVE: Gov. DeSantis holds first news conference in 3 weeks to address COVID-19
- Submit photos to show us how your family is celebrating the season
- Deputies searching for missing and endangered Hillsborough County man