PARIS (AP) — Megan Rapinoe has won the Ballon d’Or for the best female player of the year after leading the United States to World Cup glory in July.
Rapinoe scored six goals in the tournament, earning her the Golden Boot as the top scorer and the Golden Ball as the top player.
England international Lucy Bronze finished second behind Rapinoe, and Alex Morgan third in the polling.
France Football magazine has been awarding the Ballon d’Or since 1956, and created a women’s award last year when Norway’s Ada Hegerberg won it.
LATEST SPORTS NEWS:
- Ravens top Big Game Bound Top 5 list
- Tampa Bay hosts San Jose, looks to break home losing streak
- Zuccarello leads streaking Wild to 5-4 win over Lightning
- Thousands sign petitions demanding NFL remove former QB Michael Vick as Pro Bowl captain
- Showdown of NFL’s next generation of QBs: Jackson Vs Allen