PARIS (AP) — Megan Rapinoe has won the Ballon d’Or for the best female player of the year after leading the United States to World Cup glory in July.
Rapinoe scored six goals in the tournament, earning her the Golden Boot as the top scorer and the Golden Ball as the top player.
England international Lucy Bronze finished second behind Rapinoe, and Alex Morgan third in the polling.
France Football magazine has been awarding the Ballon d’Or since 1956, and created a women’s award last year when Norway’s Ada Hegerberg won it.
LATEST SPORTS NEWS:
- Rays, Rowdies donate 1 million meals to Feeding Tampa Bay; will match donations
- Past, present Buccaneers commit to helping seniors in the community
- ‘This is bigger than just hockey’: Lightning’s Ryan McDonagh weighs in on coronavirus pandemic
- NFL to begin season as scheduled in September
- World Games 2021 dates clash with postponed Summer Olympics