EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) — The Stanley Cup Final is headed to Game 6 after the Tampa Bay Lightning missed a chance to get yet another overtime clincher this postseason.
The Dallas Stars avoided elimination with a 3-2 double-overtime victory in Game 5.
Tampa Bay finished off each of their three Eastern Conference series with an overtime victory. They couldn’t do it again even after taking a 2-1 lead early in the third period. It was Tampa Bay’s fourth multiple overtime game this season.
They lost in double overtime in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final, then ended that series in the next game.
LATEST ON THE LIGHTNING:
- Goalies get shuffled in NHL free agency; Lightning quickly depleted
- Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith
- Steven Stamkos expected to be ready for next season, Lightning GM says
- ‘You guys gave us something to celebrate’: Lightning’s Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman on Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Lightning GM confirms team will look different next season due to flat salary cap