PITTSBURGH (AP) — Yanni Gourde’s wrist shot from in close 2:45 into overtime gave the streaking Tampa Bay Lightning a 2-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday night.
The Lightning picked up their eighth straight win when Gourde took a cross-ice feed from Brayden Point and ripped the puck over Matt Murray’s right arm. Gourde’s seventh goal of the season created a mob scene near the Pittsburgh net as Tampa Bay improved to 20-2-1 since Dec. 23.
Mikhail Sergachev scored his ninth goal and Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 35 shots for Tampa Bay, which played the third period and overtime without leading scorer Nikita Kucherov. He left late in the second with a lower-body injury.
Evgeni Malkin got his 18th goal for Pittsburgh and Murray finished with 36 saves.
LATEST LIGHTNING NEWS:
- Bolts’ rally falls short in loss to Panthers
- Lightning coach: Steven Stamkos being on long-term injured reserve doesn’t mean his season is over
- Lightning project to turn Amalie into Airbnb has been in works for past 7 months, team says
- Lightning prepare for tough stretch with top teams in Central division
- Room with a view: Lightning transform Amalie Arena into Airbnb for 1 night for fans to chill with Stanley Cup