ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Bryce Harper and the Philadelphia Phillies were eliminated from the playoff race with a 5-0 loss to rookie pitcher Josh Fleming the AL East champion Tampa Bay Rays.
Philadelphia needed a win over the Rays and losses by San Francisco and Milwaukee to earn its first playoff berth in nine years.
The Brewers and Giants both lost, but the Phillies were unable to give themselves a chance.
Sunk all season by a miserable bullpen, the Phillies lost seven of eight overall to finish the year.
Fleming allowed four hits over six innings for the top-seeded Rays, who will face No. 8 seed Toronto in a best-of-three series that starts Tuesday at Tropicana Field.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Manatee Co. deputies searching for runaway, endangered 13-year-old girl
- Family holds vigil for 12-year-old killed in motorcycle collision
- Dak Prescott signed a football for a sick Texas teen, now she’s returning the ‘faith’
- Super-fan twin sisters cheer on the Rays at St. Pete Pier World Series watch parties
- Naples man finds giant jellyfish while running on beach