TAMPA (WFLA) – The University of Alabama has announced head coach Nick Saban has been diagnosed with coronavirus.
The school announced in a statement that both Saban and Alabama Athletic Director Greg Byrne tested positive and are currently self-isolating.
Saban in a statement said Steve Sarkisian will oversee prepartions for the team while Saban recovers.
The news comes following the announcement that the Southeastern Conference has postponed Saturday’s game between No. 10 Florida and defending national champion LSU a day after the Gators had 19 players test positive for COVID-19.
No. 2 Alabama is scheduled to take on No. 3 Georgia on Saturday at 4 p.m.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- FEMA to open vaccine site in Tampa on Wednesday: Here’s what we know
- ‘Keep doing what you’re doing’: Spring breakers thank DeSantis for keeping state open
- ‘Step in right direction’ Florida vaccine eligibility expanded to teachers 50 years and older
- ‘Miracle Mom’ COVID-19 survivor thanks 8 On Your Side after insurance issues are resolved
- Twitter expanding enforcement system to include COVID-19 misinformation