(AP) – The recent national debate over racism has renewed calls for the NFL’s Washington Redskins to change their name.
Mayor Muriel Bowser believes a change is overdue and called the name an “obstacle” to the team building its next stadium and headquarters inside the District of Columbia.
A recent study found that 49% of respondents considered the name Redskins offensive.
The team had no comment about a possible name change. Owner Dan Snyder over the years has shown no indication that he’d change the name.
Advocates call the name a dictionary-defined racial slur and hope this is the movement that finally invokes change.
- North Port woman charged with DUI manslaughter in death of pregnant mother of two
- Video appears to show tsunami waves arriving in New Zealand
- Pinellas brothers accused of scheming elderly victims
- Pasco neighborhood wants to stop paving plan after learning they would be charged thousands
- Tampa Police chief said he wrestled with Black officer’s firing over use of racial slur