(AP) – The recent national debate over racism has renewed calls for the NFL’s Washington Redskins to change their name.
Mayor Muriel Bowser believes a change is overdue and called the name an “obstacle” to the team building its next stadium and headquarters inside the District of Columbia.
A recent study found that 49% of respondents considered the name Redskins offensive.
The team had no comment about a possible name change. Owner Dan Snyder over the years has shown no indication that he’d change the name.
Advocates call the name a dictionary-defined racial slur and hope this is the movement that finally invokes change.
- Lightning miss out on another OT clincher, head to Game 6
- Driver loses control, crashes into tree in Bartow
- ‘If it sounds too good to be true’: Fake auto sales rise during pandemic
- Giant rat wins animal hero award for sniffing out landmines
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG