TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A key member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 1979 team that reached the NFC title game has died at 65. David Lewis died in Tampa.
The cause was not immediately known but USC said he had struggled with health issues in recent years. Lewis played college ball at USC.
He was also among the defensive stars on the 1979 Buccaneers team that reached the NFC title game, capping the franchise’s “worst to first” transformation. The Bucs won 10 games that year after having won just seven in the franchise’s previous three seasons.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- The ‘Wolf Moon’ will rise in the sky this week – here’s how you can best view it
- For a Tampa teen, it’s been a lifetime since the Buccaneers have been in the Super Bowl
- Buccaneers announce which uniform combo they are wearing in Super Bowl LV
- Sarasota healthcare workers claim nursing home isn’t doing enough to protect patients, staff
- Hillsborough dive team part of enhanced security ahead of Super Bowl LV