TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A key member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 1979 team that reached the NFC title game has died at 65. David Lewis died in Tampa.
The cause was not immediately known but USC said he had struggled with health issues in recent years. Lewis played college ball at USC.
He was also among the defensive stars on the 1979 Buccaneers team that reached the NFC title game, capping the franchise’s “worst to first” transformation. The Bucs won 10 games that year after having won just seven in the franchise’s previous three seasons.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Obama says GOP must be consistent on Supreme Court vote
- Massachusetts man puts up electric fence to protect Trump campaign sign
- Second stimulus checks: Where we stand after Trump’s push for new direct payments
- Minneapolis to name stretch of street for George Floyd
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 3,573 new cases