LIVE NOW /
Watch WFLA News Channel 8

Woman dies after metal drinking straw enters eye, pierces brain

World

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A woman died after a freak accident involving an eco-friendly straw.

USA Today reports Elena Struthers-Gardner, a retired jockey, died after she collapsed in the kitchen at her home in England in November 2018. This week, authorities announced she had suffered fatal brain injuries and that her death was accidental in nature.

According to the report, Struthers-Gardner was carrying a mason-jar style drinking glass with a screw-top lid and sipping from a metal drinking straw.

When she fell, the 10-inch straw went through her left eye socket and pierced her brain.

Her wife, Mandy Struthers-Gardner, had found her face down on the floor, making “unusual gurgling sounds.” She was rushed to the hospital, where she died the next day.

The death has led coroners to warn people against using metal drinking straws with lids that fix them in place.

TRENDING STORIES: 
St. Pete woman accused of picking nose, sticking fingers in ice cream; urinating on ice cream maker
NEW VIDEO: Shark dragging case shows animal was also shot
Port Charlotte woman gets flesh-eating bacteria in foot at popular Florida beach
Dunkin’ Donuts manager arrested for hiring fake employee, pocketing checks
In US 1st, baby is born from dead donor’s transplanted womb
Rays minor league pitcher ‘flipped’ bus into home with girlfriend
Photo of starfish with ‘big butt’ goes viral

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Videos

More Video

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss