ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – Police said a woman riding a motor scooter sustained critical injuries after being struck by a car in St. Petersburg Friday morning.
The incident occurred shortly before 6 a.m. at the intersection of 49th Street South and 8th Avenue South.
Police said the driver of a Ford F510 ran into the woman after she tried to turn left on 8th Avenue and failed to yield the right of way.
The crash victim, 47-year-old Kimberly Shew, was transported to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, where she remains in critical condition.
It’s unclear if Shew was wearing a helmet.
The driver of the truck, 32-year-old Therese Ford, remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation.
Police said alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash, but it’s unclear if charges are pending.
- Lowe’s homers in 11th, lifts Rays into 2nd wild card
- Groups unite for Bahamas donation blitz
- Mother speaks out following video of alleged animal abuse
- WITH THIS RING: Bucs legend Ronde Barber calls induction the “most meaningful honor”
- FDA: More high blood pressure medications recalled due to cancer risk