VERO BEACH, FL (WFLA) – A woman is in the hospital after an encounter with a shark in Vero Beach Sunday afternoon.
WPTV reports that the woman was at Humiston Park swimming about 100 yards off the beach when she was bitten by a shark.
Lifeguards responded to the location near Costa d’Este Resort to the report of the bite around noon.
The victim Mary Marcus, 57, said the shark bit then released her, according to WPTV. WESH reported, she was able to swim to the shore herself. She got puncture wounds on her leg. Firefighters took her to a hospital.
Stay with WFLA for more on this developing story.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Venice couple overjoyed by man’s random act of kindness
- Float party in St. Pete Beach proceeds, despite protest
- Diploma mistake means California students graduate from ‘shcool’
- Woman redeems 22-year-old Disney Park Hopper pass she never got to use at age 4
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- PHOTOS: Lakeland Police Fallen Heroes Memorial Inaugural 5K Run
- Burger Showdown takes over Curtis Hixon Park
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines