WASHINGTON (WFLA) – The House Judiciary Committee met for several hours on Wednesday night to begin deliberations on the articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.
Here’s what happened during the hearing:
10:35 p.m. – Rep. Nadler has ended the markup hearing for the night.
The Judiciary Committee will return at 9 a.m. ET to continue deliberations and could vote before the end of the day Thursday. The full House is expected to vote by Christmas. If the charges are approved, they will be sent to the Senate for a trial.
Our coverage will begin Thursday at 8:45 a.m. ET.
7:20 p.m. – Rep. Nadler and Rep. Collins have finished delivering their opening statements. Each member of the committee will now get five minutes to give a statement.
Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (D-FL)
Rep. Greg Steube (R-FL)
Rep. Val Demings (D-FL)
Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA)
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL)
Rep. Cedric Wilson (D-LA)
Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-TX)
Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO)
Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL)
Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN)
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX)
7 p.m. – Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY) has started the hearing. He will deliver his opening statement, followed by an opening statement from ranking member Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA).
6:45 p.m. – The House Judiciary Committee is set to begin its markup hearing soon on the articles of impeachment. J.B. Biunno and Keith Cate were joined by Washington D.C. Correspondent Jessi Turnure Wednesday before the markup to talk about what to expect next from the impeachment inquiry.
House Democrats announced two articles of impeachment Tuesday against the president for abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The announcement came after weeks of public hearings in front of the House Intelligence Committee and Judiciary Committee. The two committees questioned key witnesses, law scholars and attorneys for each party.
Get caught up with previous impeachment coverage:
- Committee questions Republican, Democratic counsels as vote nears in impeachment inquiry
- Judiciary Committee grills 4 law scholars in impeachment inquiry
- Fiona Hill, David Holmes wrap testimony in public impeachment hearings
- Recap: Hale & Cooper testify after bombshell 7-hour testimony from Sondland
- Trump impeachment hearings & analysis: Williams, Vindman, Volker and Morrison testify
- Impeachment hearings Day 2: Testimony & analysis
- Breaking down first day of public impeachment hearings