WASHINGTON (NEXSTAR) — The Trump Administration says construction of the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border remains a top priority, despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
President Donald Trump waived environmental regulations on Friday to fast track the construction.
But Democrats say the country’s resources should be focused on fighting the pandemic, not building the wall.
Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn, however, says the wall is more important now than ever.
“Right now, the biggest concern I have with people coming across the border illegally is potentially spread the coronavirus,” Cornyn said.
Texas Democrat Henry Cuellar says construction should be halted, period.
“Then this contractor from outside of Texas, he’s gonna come in, bring their people, not knowing where they are coming from, and they are going to be working in our communities,” said Cuellar.
President Trump said last week that the border wall remains a top priority and he is committed to fulfilling his goal of building an additional 450 miles of barrier by the end of this year.
LATEST FROM NEXSTAR DC:
- ‘We deserve to be heard’: Man on mission to make voting accessible to Americans with disabilities
- Senators grill Twitter, Facebook, Google CEOs on political fairness
- Big tech CEOs grilled in Senate hearing
- Judge Barrett joins Supreme Court as new justice, Democrats worried for future of the country
- Election Day lead-up sees record early voting in many states