SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Deputies investigating fatal shooting in Weeki Wachee
- Cat killer on the prowl in Arizona
- Sports Illustrated features 1st trans model in swimsuit issue
- Las Vegas police arrest former USA gymnastics coach for lewdness with a minor