SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Dr. Fauci: U.S. still in the first wave, seasonal ‘challenge’ lies ahead
- State Road 590 shutdown as Clearwater police seek hit-and-run driver
- 84-year-old man taking photos of boys outside Missouri grade school charged with child porn
- St. Petersburg parents break their silence following stabbing, daughter’s death
- VIDEO: Confirmed tornado touches down in Myrtle Beach