HOUSTON, TX (WFLA) – A emotional support dog is meant to help keep you calm and relaxed. But a Houston couple was recently kicked off their flight and believes her pit bull-lab mix dog, Ziggy Marley, was profiled.
It all started this past weekend when United States Army veteran Jae Fowler was preparing to fly a return from flight Denver back to Houston with her boyfriend on Spirit Airlines.
The two were headed to Colorado to visit some of Fowler’s old Army friends. Fowler says, she’s flown a half-dozen times with her service animal and it’s never been a problem.
“The flight out was you know great. I mean Spirit was good to us all the way out to Denver,” Fowler said.
But on the return trip, Fowler says, a flight attendant flagged the support dog.
“Basically, she said, ‘Oh hell no.’ I said,’What’s wrong?’ She said, ‘Is that a pit bull?’ And I said, ‘Yes, ma’am, it’s a pit bull and a chocolate lab.'”
When she reached the back of the plane, she said she was confronted by another flight attendant, KTRK reported.
“And now she’s on the phone and she was saying, ‘Well, an emotional support animal isn’t a service animal. A service animal is for someone with real disabilities.’ And I felt insulted because there are veterans in the world that they have disabilities you can’t see,” Fowler recounted.
The couple said they were removed from the Spirit flight and placed on a United Airlines flight back to Houston later that night.
“But my thing is you trust me to go on another flight but not on this flight.”
A spokesperson for Spirit Airlines says they are looking into the allegations, noting the captain would make the final decision and there would need to be a good reason, like a dog barking or growling.MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES TODAY:
- Cops: 4 men raped girl while her mother smoked meth in garage
- Children attacked by knife-wielding man during P.E. class
- Cardiologist explains Steven Stamkos’ condition, signs to watch out for
- Dog found with head duct-taped in SC
- Brewpub’s founder writes about banning sexist customer
- Homeowners raking in extra cash renting houses out for Sun -N- Fun
- Only on 8: Police admit officer made a mistake but said protocol was followed
- Court docs: Disguised camera recorded nude woman in tanning room
- MUG SHOTS: People arrested for shoplifting in Polk County in March
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines