TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) –The Florida Highway Patrol is closing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge ahead of Tropical Storm Eta’s arrival on Wednesday.
The storm became a hurricane before weakening to a tropical storm Wednesday.
Troopers decided to close the bridge after wind speeds reached 50 mph.
The bridge closed shortly before 11 a.m., and will remain closed until the weather calms. The Florida Highway Patrol is urging drivers to use alternate routes, keep their lights on, and to not travel across flooded roadways.
Eta is about 145 miles south-southwest of Tampa and is bringing strong winds, and heavy rain to the area.
- Cold weather shelters to open as temperatures drop in Tampa Bay
- Sarasota officer moved to tears by stranger’s note
- First blood test to help diagnose Alzheimer’s goes on sale
- Motorcyclist dies after crashes with 2 vehicles in St. Pete
- Olympic rings back up in Tokyo Bay, serving as sign of hope amid pandemic