TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) –The Florida Highway Patrol is closing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge ahead of Tropical Storm Eta’s arrival on Wednesday.
The storm became a hurricane before weakening to a tropical storm Wednesday.
Troopers decided to close the bridge after wind speeds reached 50 mph.
The bridge closed shortly before 11 a.m., and will remain closed until the weather calms. The Florida Highway Patrol is urging drivers to use alternate routes, keep their lights on, and to not travel across flooded roadways.
Eta is about 145 miles south-southwest of Tampa and is bringing strong winds, and heavy rain to the area.
- Ron DeSantis wants Florida to stop buying Ben & Jerry’s over its stance on Israel-Palestine conflict
- Missing child alert issued for 13-year-old last seen Friday
- ‘Out of my body’: Osaka sharp in debut at Tokyo Olympics
- What to watch Sunday night, Monday morning at the Tokyo Olympics
- Man charged in Capitol riot investigation said Trump ‘asked me to be here,’ court documents show