HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – UPDATE: A driver involved in a serious rollover crash is now facing charges for careless driving.
According to Florida Highway Patrol troopers, 33-year-old Joey Pedro was traveling southbound on I-75, north of Gibsonton Drive, in the outside lane. Just ahead of Pedro was 36-year-old Lance Collins Jr., who was towing a utility trailer.
Troopers say Pedro overtook and collided with the rear of Collins’ car. After impact, Collins’ car jackknifed and overturned onto its right side.
Pedro continued traveling to the center median and collided with a No U-Turn sign, a crash report read.
According to troopers, the southbound lanes of I-75 were closed until 7:41 a.m., with all lanes reopening at 10:26 a.m.
ORIGINAL STORY: The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office says a “serious” rollover crash is affecting southbound traffic on I-75 near Gibsonton Drive.
At this time, it’s unclear how many vehicles were involved in the accident. The extent of injuries is unknown.
The crash closed all lanes of the roadway, but two lanes have since reopened. After the crash, drivers were seen turning around and driving the wrong way, which is illegal.
Delays have been building on U.S. Highway 301 or U.S. Highway 41, which are being used as a detour.
- Tampa pastor who led packed services during safer-at-home order is shutting down the church
- FDA hasn’t authorized a two-minute test for coronavirus
- Coast Guard: Cruise ships must stay at sea with sick onboard
- Engineer intentionally derailed train in attempted attack on hospital ship USNS Mercy, federal prosecutors say
- Residents concerned about COVID-19 patient living at St. Petersburg 55 and up community