NORTH PORT, Fla. (WFLA) — A driver was shot and killed while traveling south on Interstate 75 in the North Port area Saturday morning.
The North Port Police Department said the incident happened somewhere between Sumter Boulevard and Toledo Blade Boulevard around 3 a.m.
The victim died at the scene in what police believe was an isolated incident.
The incident closed two southbound lanes for several hours. They reopened shortly before 5 p.m.
Further information was not immediately available.
- Launch gives spectators pride, reprieve from troubled times
- Target temporarily closes 175 stores amid nationwide protests
- “We don’t have to destroy our city to make a point’: WFLA reporter recounts moments protest turned from peaceful march to vandalism, looting
- Champs Sports store set on fire near University Square Mall
- 300 protesters gather outside St. Pete Police Headquarters