HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A man is in custody after an incident that shut down part of Dale Mabry Highway Wednesday morning.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said an armed man had called 911 and threatened to harm himself.
Deputies responded to the intersection of Dale Mabry and North Lakeview Drive and spent about 30 minutes trying to de-escalate the situation before calling in a SWAT team and crisis negotiators.
Negotiations lasted more than two hours. The man was taken into custody around 5:30 a.m.
The roadway has since reopened.
- Clearwater police warn it’s illegal to set off certain fireworks in city
- New unemployment seeker numbers growing as old DEO issues remain unsolved
- Estimated 26 million gallons of raw sewage spills onto wetlands threatening Sarasota Bay
- Florida coronavirus: Are there enough contact tracers as cases spike?
- As COVID-19 tests increase, many are waiting days for results