HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A man is in custody after an incident that shut down part of Dale Mabry Highway Wednesday morning.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office said an armed man had called 911 and threatened to harm himself.
Deputies responded to the intersection of Dale Mabry and North Lakeview Drive and spent about 30 minutes trying to de-escalate the situation before calling in a SWAT team and crisis negotiators.
Negotiations lasted more than two hours. The man was taken into custody around 5:30 a.m.
The roadway has since reopened.
- St. Petersburg museum on mission to improve Holocaust education statewide
- Three victims in fiery Hudson crash remembered
- Dog rescued after being spotted running in northbound lanes of I-275
- Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino to resign, effective Friday
- DeSantis: Florida’s statewide COVID-19 vaccine registration site expanding this week