HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA)—A 33-year-old motorcyclist was traveling at a high rate of speed when he slammed into a driver trying to make a U-turn on Dale Mabry Highway Friday morning. The motorcyclist died and the driver was seriously injured, authorities said.
The crash happened at the intersection of W. Waters Avenue and N. Dale Mabry Highway shortly before 1 a.m.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the motorcyclist was heading northbound at a high rate of speed, approaching Waters Avenue, when he hit a sedan that was trying to make a U-turn at the intersection.
The motorcyclist died at the scene and the 56-year-old driver was seriously injured.
She was airlifted to an area hospital to be treated for her injuries. Her current condition is unknown.
The incident shut down portions of Dale Mabry Highway for several hours. The roadway has since reopened.
- Parents in Tampa Bay ready to spend for ‘normal’ Halloween
- Lanes closed after deadly crash on Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota
- Pasco County COVID-19 patient opens up about lingering symptoms after the virus
- ‘Bucs with B.A.’: Defense on track as offense continues to take strides
- ‘Unlivable’ Pasco motel leveled after 8 On Your Side investigation