TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A tractor-trailer hauling apple cider burst into flames Monday morning after it was hit by a sedan that was traveling the wrong way on Interstate 275.
The driver of the sedan suffered serious injuries while the truck driver’s injuries were minor, troopers said.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the crash happened at about 3:15 a.m. in the southbound lanes of I-275 between Fletcher Avenue and Bearrs Avenue.
Troopers say a 25-year-old Lutz man had been traveling northbound in the center lane and hit the truck nearly head-on.
The truck hit a barrier wall and caught fire.
The report did not mention whether the accident was alcohol-related.
The Florida Highway Patrol closed both directions of the interstate, but both lanes are now open.
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Not much rain; lots of heat and humidity
- Gas prices rise as states reopen
- Deputies investigating fatal shooting in Weeki Wachee
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Very hot and mostly dry to start the new week
- Data shows Fourth of July was busy travel day despite pandemic