LONGBOAT KEY, Fla. (WFLA) — One person is dead after a crash involving a Longboat Key officer Wednesday evening.
The crash occurred near 2121 Gulf of Mexico Drive.
According to police, the officer was in a marked SUV, on the way to a call when the officer crashed into the driver’s side of a car, in front of the Bay Isles Beach Club.
At this time we do not know if the officer had their lights and siren activated.
Longboat Key Police Chief, Peter Cumming says the officer sustained non life-threatening injuries but an occupant of the other vehicle was killed and another was hospitalized.
The Sarasota Police Department is assisting with this investigation
Gulf of Mexico Drive was closed in both directions in the area of the crash as officials investigate the incident.
- Newsfeed Now: GSA authorizes start of transition process; New tech for organ donation could save thousands
- Police: Clearwater firefighter assaults woman after argument over politics, points gun at officer
- Execution rescheduled for only woman on federal death row after COVID-19 delay
- Dole recalls romaine lettuce in 15 states over E. coli risk, FDA says
- Police: Man arrested for beating his dog after it chased after a squirrel in St. Pete