MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A driver of a dump truck died when his dump truck caught fire after a crash on I-275 in Manatee County Monday morning.
The crash occurred in the northbound lanes of the interstate at the US-41 exit.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the driver lost control of the vehicle and overturned off the roadway, trapping the driver. Two St. Petersburg officers tried to free the driver from the vehicle, but the truck caught fire, forcing the officers to retreat.
The crash caused backups on northbound I-275.
The identity of the driver has not yet been released.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Invisible lines in sand cause confusion as beachgoers persist despite coronavirus orders
- Nearly 3,000 sailors to leave aircraft carrier amid virus outbreak
- 6-week-old baby dies of coronavirus in Connecticut
- US Census continues 2020 count despite coronavirus outbreak
- NASA call for astronauts draws 12,000 spaceflight hopefuls