MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A driver of a dump truck died when his dump truck caught fire after a crash on I-275 in Manatee County Monday morning.
The crash occurred in the northbound lanes of the interstate at the US-41 exit.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the driver lost control of the vehicle and overturned off the roadway, trapping the driver. Two St. Petersburg officers tried to free the driver from the vehicle, but the truck caught fire, forcing the officers to retreat.
The crash caused backups on northbound I-275.
The identity of the driver has not yet been released.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Prince fans headed to Paisley Park five years after death
- Police release body cam footage of officer shooting, killing 16-year-old girl in Ohio
- Rollover crash on I-275 snarling traffic in Tampa
- Earth Week: Saving water saves planet – and money, Tampa Bay conservationist says
- Queen Elizabeth marking 95th birthday in low-key fashion