HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – One person was killed Friday morning following a crash on Interstate 75 in Hillsborough County.
The crash happened in the northbound lanes of the roadway between Sun City Center and Big Bend Road.
According to deputies, a woman from Georgia driving an SUV was traveling northbound in the outside lanes of I-75 when she hit the back of a sedan being driven by a man from Lehigh Acres.
Deputies say the driver of the sedan went into the median and collided with a tree, the female drivers SUV overturned and ended up in the shoulder of the highway.
Troopers say the woman then proceeded to flee the scene on foot, crossing the southbound lanes of I-75 before dying from injuries suffered during the crash.
The driver of the sedan suffered minor injuries.
The crash caused significant delays in the northbound lanes, and some delays on southbound I-75. However, roads have since reopened.
- Asteroid samples escaping from jammed NASA spacecraft: ‘Time is of the essence’
- Tracking the Tropics: 90% chance system in western Caribbean develops
- Second stimulus checks: White House less optimistic than Pelosi on pre-election deal
- Jon Bon Jovi to accompany Joe and Jill Biden in Pennsylvania today
- Obama to campaign for Joe Biden in Florida today