LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — The Polk County Sheriff’s Office said a driver entered the opposite lane to pass the car in front of him but collided with an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and the other driver.
The crash occurred near the intersection of Highway 471 around 4:17 a.m.
The sheriff’s office said evidence suggests 37-year-old Todd Grau of Winter Haven was driving on US Highway 98 and moved into the northbound lane to pass a car in front of him. When he did, he collided with 41-year-old Marie Telfort driving in the opposite direction.
The sheriff’s office said both drivers were dead when emergency crews arrived.
The roadway in the area of the crash was closed for about five hours while deputies investigated. The crash remains under investigation.
- Trump urges Senate to vote ‘without delay’ on his Supreme Court pick
- ‘Thank you for everything’: Man battling COVID-19 texts mom before going into coma
- Infant survives crash that kills 25-year-old Polk County woman
- GOP senator to introduce bill reimbursing parents $800 for remote learning expenses
- Stanley Cup: Lightning, Stars take the ice at 7:30 on News Channel 8