LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — The Polk County Sheriff’s Office said a driver entered the opposite lane to pass the car in front of him but collided with an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and the other driver.
The crash occurred near the intersection of Highway 471 around 4:17 a.m.
The sheriff’s office said evidence suggests 37-year-old Todd Grau of Winter Haven was driving on US Highway 98 and moved into the northbound lane to pass a car in front of him. When he did, he collided with 41-year-old Marie Telfort driving in the opposite direction.
The sheriff’s office said both drivers were dead when emergency crews arrived.
The roadway in the area of the crash was closed for about five hours while deputies investigated. The crash remains under investigation.
- No more delays: What to know about the July 15 tax deadline
- 5 test positive for COVID-19 after going to house party with hundreds in attendance
- Video shows police officer save 3-week-old baby choking on milk
- Hospitals told to send coronavirus data to Washington, not CDC
- Man dead after fire at Seminole home