LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — There was not a cloud in the sky Friday at the Lakeland Linder Airport, but there was plenty of planes at Sun ‘N Fun which is the second largest event of it’s kind.
“The airfield is filled with airplanes, around 3,500 airplanes or more, plus hundreds of exhibitors, on 2,500 acres,” said John Leenhouts, President and CEO of Sun ‘N Fun International Fly-in and Expo.
Jeremy Talbert flew in from Atlanta, his first time. ‘”It’s huge! We have a small one at the airport I work at, but it’s only five hours long, this is 10, 15, more like 50 time the scale of what we do, this is a lot of fun,” he said.
This year is already one for the books. “The first three days, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the combined admissions exceed all previous years, in all 42 years history of Sun ‘N Fun,” said Leenhouts.
And with a gorgeous weekend in store, there’s still a whole lot more to see this weekend. “The Golden Knights are going to jump both day and night. There will be a night show on Saturday night with fireworks to follow it,” said Leenhouts.
There’s also plenty of planes if you’re looking to go for a cruise, new and old, like a 1941 Stearman. “It’s a great time! It’s very much a bucket list thing for people to do because the aircraft, a 1941 Stearman, made by Boeing for WWII,” said Chris Gregory, the Pilot with Flying Adventures.RELATED: 2016 Lakeland Sun ‘n Fun Schedule, Ticket Info
By lunchtime on Friday, they had already taken 11 people for flights in the historic plane. The company is based out of the St. Pete-Clearwater Airport, and offer the flights year-round.
They even took News Channel 8’s Melissa Marino for a spin!OTHER TOP CLICKED STORIES PEOPLE ARE CLICKING ON:
- Rodent droppings, spider webs, unwashed hands close 8 Tampa Bay area restaurants
- Offensive ‘Jews vs Nazis’ beer pong photo ignites controversy
- Popular Chicago-based Portillo’s set to open in Brandon
- VIDEO: Deputies nab motorcyclist accused of driving recklessly every morning
- 12-year-old body-slammed by police officer, video goes viral
- Nurses quitting jobs for more money at McDonald’s
- Witness: Woman’s body discovered ‘cut up in pieces’ in Central Florida
- Driver says Florida trooper was watching YouTube while driving
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines