NORTH PORT, Fla. (WFLA) — The search for a stabbing suspect in North Port had one elementary school on lockdown on Monday morning.
Officers were stationed at the school during the lockdown at Lamarque Elementary School.
Police responded to a domestic disturbance in the 3600 block of Madagascar Avenue just before 5 a.m. on Monday. After working through a language barrier it was determined that a female had a stab wound and was transported to a local hospital.
The school was placed on lockdown as authorities searched for Hector Alvarez-Lugo, age 34, who was known to law enforcement. Officers were placed at the school during the lockdown.
Police believe Alverez-Lugo was picked up and driven from the scene. He was last seen leaving the residence where the stabbing occurred at 4:40 a.m.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Air-1 helicopter searched for the suspect from the air. Patrol and K-9 units searched on the ground.
Alvarez-Lugo was taken into custody in Charlotte County after 9 a.m. on Monday.
Lamarque Elementary School is located at 3415 Lamarque Ave. in North Port.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club
- AMBER Alert issued for Madison boy, 7
- Boy missing in Coconut Creek, AMBER Alert issued
- Family killed in triple murder followed by suicide
- Man shot and killed in Clearwater identified
- Pit bull puppy recovers after severe chemical burns
- Principal paddles kindergartner, ignites outrage online
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines