LOS ANGELES (AP) – Cuba Gooding Sr., who sang the 1972 hit “Everybody Plays the Fool,” has died.
Authorities say the 72-year-old singer and father of Oscar winner Cuba Gooding Jr. was found dead in a car Thursday in the Woodland Hills section of Los Angeles.
Coroner’s Assistant Chief Ed Winter says the cause of death is under investigation, but drug paraphernalia and alcohol were found in the car parked on a busy street.
The elder Gooding rose to fame for “Everybody Plays the Fool,” which he sang with the rhythm-and-blues group The Main Ingredient. The song helped the family move from the Bronx to Southern California.
Cuba Gooding Sr.’s own father fled Barbados and went to Cuba – hence the name of his son – before becoming a taxi driver in Manhattan.
An email message to Gooding Jr.’s agent was not immediately returned.STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Clearwater votes to buy lot coveted by Church of Scientology
- Tad Cummins, 50, arrested, Elizabeth Thomas, 15, found safe
- Cops: Clearwater woman shoves stun gun into teen driver’s face during road rage incident
- Loud sex noises interrupt pro tennis match in Sarasota
- Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez found dead in jail cell
- Polk Co. woman arrested after posting Facebook live video
- Giraffe cam with April, baby to end