TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A Hillsborough judge put the kibosh on Hayley Lidey’s ability to sell dogs on Craigslist. Lidey, in court for a probation violation on previous convictions, is staying in the Hillsborough County Jail.
Judge Perry demanded to know why Lidey violated her probation by refusing a urinalysis. When she provided different answers he refused to buy into story.
Unfortunately, Chris and Shawn Tomaras of Pasco county did when Lidey, in April, sold them an 8-week-old puppy they named Leo
“I saw him and he was adorable,” Chris said about an ad he spotted on Craigslist. He and Shawn fell in love with Leo immediately, arranged a meeting with Lidey, paid her and her boyfriend and took the puppy home.
“Within five days of us having him we had to put him to sleep because of parvo,” Shawn said. “He was just a baby.”
In Judge Perry’s court, Lidey’s boyfriend Alberto Anaya approached me and told me my report about Leo was all wrong and he was ready to tell his story on camera. Alberto claims he was the person who sold Leo to Chris and Shawn. The reason the dog was so cheap is he claims he told Chris it did not have its shots.
That doesn’t square up with a text message Chris received from Leo’s seller. It said, “HI I HAVE THE BOXER HUSKY PUPPIES THEY HAVE HAD THEIR FIRST SHOTS AT MY VET..”
Another text from the seller said, “MY NAME IS ASHLEIGH”. When I asked Alberto if he is Ashleigh, he said “Yes.”
One viewer who saw my 8 On Your Side report about Leo, wrote, “I bought an 8-week-old puppy from her back in November that was also dying of parvo.” After extensive, expensive medical treatment her little dog named Rocky survived.
Lidey stood in front of Judge Perry today explaining why she violated probation on a previous fraud charge. He wasn’t buying what she was selling.
“Why did you skip the urine test?” Judge Perry asked.
“I don’t, I just left,” Lidey replied.
“Why didn’t you take a urine test?” the judge repeated.
“Because I smoked a marijuana joint,” Lidey answered.
“Why in the world would you come here and lie to me?” Judge Perry asked.
Before she could get three words out, the judge interrupted and told her,”Because you have a pattern of lying that’s why.”
The judge told Lidey it was time to get a job, time to get up everyday to look for one. He ordered he evaluated for placement into a Prison Restitution Center in Orlando, where she will live under suervision, look for work and pay the restitution she owes on a previous fraud conviction.
Though he claims he sold Leo to Chris and Shawn, and told them the dog had its shots, Alberto Anaya decided against an on camera interview.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Ocala mother justified in shooting, killing husband under ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
- VIDEO: Disoriented sea turtle found wandering outside Sarasota hotel
- Road Ranger critically injured in 4-vehicle crash on Howard Frankland
- Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez fires back at former private investigator
- Sheriff: Ex-husband killed missing Florida mom, search for body underway
- VIDEO: Polk County driver almost plows into student getting on school bus
- Hillsborough fifth-grader investigated for alleged attempt to poison classmate
- VIDEO: 6-month-old Orlando baby goes waterskiing; parents say it’s a record
- Ford recalls 271K pickups to fix brake fluid leak
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines