Christine and Monte Muscott are pretty content with life. But, who wouldn’t be intrigued by a “secret society” offering the unbelievable?
“There are secrets about how to be successful, make money, be happy in love, anything your heart desires,” Christine Muscott said.
The invitation sent to Monte was 10 pages and written by someone so secret he goes only by, “Bill.” Bill explained that the group had been watching Monte and had chosen him for the secret group.
The Secret Society also goes by the name The League, and members, the invitation reads, get a 2,300-year-old secret that provides mystical power.
“I thought, ‘What are they trying to pull here?’ It’s just so stupid. How could anyone believe it?'” Muscott said.
The Muscotts didn’t believe it for a second but were intrigued to find out what it really was. The letter said the society was free, so they accepted the invitation and mailed it in. The league sent back a pamphlet of secrets. But the message was in “code,” and the key to the code is cash. The society offered to give a generous discount of $139.95.
The Muscotts did not send money and are now flooded with letters from the Society, trying to get them to join the secret club. The letters say Monti is just perfect for the group.
“He’s been selected to be a part of this because he has so many great qualities, mainly his name and address,”Christine Muscott said.
8 On Your Side wanted to know what’s up with this League. We tracked the phone number down to Dallas, but no one answered. We tracked this Society down to an author who goes by the name Mark Hamilton.
Hamilton didn’t call back, but our research led to the secret anyway: Hamilton is selling books.
There are pages and pages of complaints on the internet from former League “members,” complaining they were ripped off and got nothing for their money. But there are a few alleged “members” who stick up for the group and say Hamilton’s book – which contain a lot of common sense tips – changed their lives. These people say those who don’t get it are just not “intelligent” enough to understand.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club
- AMBER Alert issued for Madison boy, 7
- Boy missing in Coconut Creek, AMBER Alert issued
- Family killed in triple murder followed by suicide
- Man shot and killed in Clearwater identified
- Pit bull puppy recovers after severe chemical burns
- Principal paddles kindergartner, ignites outrage online
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines