(CNN) – The moon as a mirror? Astronomers believe this may be a way to identify signs of life on other planets.
NASA says scientists used the Hubble Space Telescope to detect Earth’s ozone in our atmosphere. But they weren’t looking at Earth at the time.
Instead, astronomers used the moon as a mirror to reflect sunlight that passed through Earth’s atmosphere and to the telescope. This was done during a lunar eclipse.
Scientists believe if they can detect Earth’s ozone this way, they may be able to do this with other planets.
Detecting other ozones would be a big deal because scientists say the ozone layer could be a sign of life on another planet.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Excitement grows as Lightning get ready for Game 4 of Stanley Cup Final
- Death investigation underway after body found in Mulberry
- Plant City school security guard accused of abusing student with autism
- Blue Angels fly over Pensacola in support of those impacted by Hurricane Sally
- Trump niece files suit saying family cheated her of millions