SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A 34-year-old man killed his infant daughter and then himself in a wooded Sarasota area Friday night, the sheriff’s office said.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office was called around 7:30 p.m. Friday night to a home on Stardust Place in Sarasota. Deputies learned Miguel Angel Castillo-Hernandez sent texts to his child’s mother concerning the possible death of their 2-year-old daughter.
A ‘Be On the Lookout’ (BOLO) alert was issued for Castillo-Hernandez and deputies initiated a search for the man and his daughter.
The two were found in a wooded area near the northeast corner of Bee Ridge Road and Honore Avenue in Sarasota. Rescue efforts for both were unsuccessful, and they were pronounced dead as a result of asphyxiation (lack of oxygen).
The sheriff’s office said they believe this to be a murder-suicide. The official cause will be determined by the Medical Examiner’s Office.
- Nevada man charged with stealing boxes of surgical masks from VA center
- Weather Break: How to bend a stream of water
- Schakolad Chocolate Factory makes Easter baskets for nurses’ kids
- ‘Houston, we’ve had a problem’: Remembering Apollo 13 at 50
- NBA says players will receive full checks on April 15