The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office arrested 12 people on multiple charges during “Operation Freelancer VII.”
The operation was an investigation to protect citizens from unlicensed contractors.
Detectives worked with various agencies to contract individuals advertising home repair services that require a license to complete.
As individuals arrived at the predetermined residence, the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation database was checked to see if they were licensed, registered as a contractor and/or required workers compensation coverage or exemption to perform the work.
The following people were arrested:
- David Mackey, 51, of Sarasota
- Haralambos Maginas, 30, of Sarasota
- Steven Leimbach, 30, of Sarasota
- Matthew King, 56, of Nokomis
- David Pond, 44, of Bradenton
- Nora Nowicki, 49, of Sarasota
- Kim Bachert, 67, of Sarasota
- Jarret Dempsey, 40, of Bradenton
- Carlos Asiain-Hernandez, 32, of Sarasota
- Sergey Kurbatov, 48, of North Port
- Nathan Poor, 49, of Sarasota
- Richard Mitchell, 64, of Sarasota
The operation resulted in 12 felony charges and 12 misdemeanor charges.
Those arrested have a total of 33 prior felony and 33 misdemeanor charges and a total of 37 convictions.
Consumers can verify licenses with the DBPR online, by calling 850-487-1395 or by downloading the free DBPR mobile app through iTunes or the Google Play store.