SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – Florida Highway Patrol troopers are investigating a fatal crash involving a bicyclist.
According to troopers, around 6:40 p.m. a bicyclist was traveling westbound across US 41 within the crosswalk against a steady red pedestrian light located on each side of the intersection at Laurel Road.
Troopers say an 84-year-old driving an SUV was traveling southbound on US 41 in the right travel lane approaching the green traffic signal at the Laurel Road intersection.
The bicyclist traveled directly into the path of the SUV and was struck. The bicyclist was pronounced dead on the scene by EMS.
The southbound lanes of US 41 were closed for several hours as troopers and Sarasota County deputies investigated and worked the scene.
An investigation is ongoing.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Police make nearly 1,400 arrests in 17 cities as protests continue
- Video: Tampa police end jewelry store looting
- Sheriff joins peaceful protest in Flint, Michigan
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Hot with a few isolated storms this afternoon
- Launch gives spectators pride, reprieve from troubled times