SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – A well-known Sarasota philanthropist died after a police officer struck his vehicle while responding to a call in Longboat Key.
Police said the officer was driving a marked SUV when he crashed into a Tesla driven by Charles Barancik after he and his wife had pulled out of a private home in the 2100 block of Gulf of Mexico Drive.
Barancik, 91, died at the scene. His wife, Margery Barancik, 83, suffered serious injuries and was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Her current condition was not disclosed.
Police said the officer was taken to an area hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries. His name is being withheld.
The Barancik’s are well-known philanthropists in the Sarasota area. In 2014, they established the Charles & Margery Barancik Foundation to support the arts, education and humanitarian causes.
Authorities are asking anyone with information on the crash to call Officer Tim Bales with the Sarasota Police Department Traffic Unit at 941-915-3635 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers by calling 941-366-TIPS.
- New federal rules to help states combat coronavirus patient surge
- How coronavirus can impact your credit score
- Nurses union protests shortage of protective gear at HCA hospitals
- Stopping the spread: Hillsborough Co. to open 2 hotels to help those impacted by coronavirus
- Coronavirus: U.S. death toll tops 5,000