SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say the department-issued vehicle driven by Sarasota County Sheriff Tom Knight was broken into overnight.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Megan Krahe says the burglary happened late Sunday or early Monday morning. The unmarked car was parked outside the sheriff’s home in Venice.
Krahe said an agency-issued bulletproof vest was taken but confirmed no weapons or stun guns were stolen. She said there was forced entry and that the car was not left unlocked.
Investigators are looking into the incident. She said there were other car burglaries reported in the area.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- ‘Trying to play a prank’: Clearwater teen arrested for impersonating police officer
- Ren, Stimpy to make TV comeback in new Comedy Central show
- Georgia school shifting online after infections reported
- Dollar Tree, Family Dollar to require masks
- Reuniting families: Daughter eager to visit elderly mom, concerned about plan to reopen ALFs