SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Sarasota County Schools will be closed Monday due to the threat of current Tropical Storm Eta.
“At 7:00 PM this evening, the Emergency Operations Team for Sarasota County determined that the current path of Tropical Storm Eta will affect Sarasota County with significant rain and sustained winds of 40 miles per hour and gusts of over 50 miles an hour tomorrow. Due to this change in forecast, all schools and offices will be closed Monday, November 9th,” according to a statement from Sarasota County Schools.
There is currently no word on school closures for the rest of the week.
Tropical Storm Eta is continuing to move toward Florida and is expected to produce dangerous storm surge, flash floods and strong winds over portions of Cuba, Florida, and the Florida Keys Sunday night.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Mother of slain Florida teen shot during burial service
- Florida on track to top 1 million total coronavirus cases this week
- Florida boy drowns while swimming in ocean with grandfather
- Biden chooses an all-female senior White House press team
- 40 cold-stunned turtles from Cape Cod receive treatment in Florida Keys