SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – A portion of Tamiami Trail in Sarasota was closed Saturday afternoon after police say a suspicious package was found.
The Sarasota Police Department said officers were dispatched around 2:10 p.m. to a FedEx, located at 1901 South Tamiami Trail, for abandoned 911 calls.
When officers arrived, employees told police they had a suspicious package that was delivered at 1:30 p.m.
SPD said officers evacuated the FedEx office building and the surrounding area.
South Tamiami Trail was also closed from Hillview Street and Datura Street, which is just south of Sarasota Memorial Hospital. All lanes of traffic are now open.
Officers with the SPD Explosive Materials Unit also responded to the scene and determined the package was not suspicious and cleared the area.
No charges are expected.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Third stimulus check: GOP lawmaker wants $1,400 payment reserved for people who get COVID-19 vaccine
- CDC recommends against getting other vaccines close to when you get the COVID-19 vaccine
- Police seek missing Clearwater man, 65
- 3 dead in military helicopter crash were experienced pilots
- Austin wins Senate confirmation as 1st Black Pentagon chief