SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – A motorcyclist was killed and four others injured after a terrible crash that snarled traffic for hours in Sarasota on Wednesday. The man who died is a former Marine.
Officials said a group of eight motorcyclists was traveling south on I-75 around 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. They were near the Fruitville Road exit when David Boland, 56, of Englewood lost control of his motorcycle, flew off the bike and hit a tractor trailer.
He died at the scene.
The accident caused a chain reaction crash and four other motorcyclists lost control of their bikes and fell off. Three were rushed to Sarasota Memorial Hospital with serious injuries, one of them had minor injuries and refused treatment.
According to public records, Boland served in the Marine Corps. Records show he served in active duty for 30 years.
The FHP is investigating the incident.
- Live Game Updates: Tampa Bay Buccaneers host Carolina Panthers in home opener at Raymond James Stadium
- Buccaneers open season at home without fans
- Oldest living Marine celebrates her 107th birthday
- Man, 21, charged with DUI manslaughter after deadly crash at US-92 red light
- U.S. and Texas have ‘out of control’ population of ‘super-pigs,’ expert says