SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – Police arrested a man involved in a domestic disturbance in Sarasota this morning.
Police said the man had barricaded himself inside a home in the 1200 block of 40th Street around 11 p.m. Sunday night, and that a woman and child were inside.
Police responded to the home and hours later, called in SWAT officers and crisis negotiators.
It took them several hours to try to get the man out of the home.
Around 6:15 a.m., police said the man had been arrested and the woman and child were safe.
Police said the man was wanted out of Manatee County for violating his probation. He was arrested for multiple property crimes including grand theft, and has a criminal history with charges including fleeing to elude, robbery with a firearm and drug possession.
Police said they were called to the home two weeks ago following reports of a domestic disturbance.
Police had blocked off Old Bradenton Road from 39th Street to 41st Street. The scene will be cleared shortly.
- ‘I wanted to support her’: Barber shaves own head to comfort woman battling breast cancer
- COVID-19 variants: What happens when we finish the Greek alphabet?
- Mourners in California honor 3 Marines killed in Afghanistan
- Alcohol banned at beach to discourage Georgia-Florida party
- Vaccines in your salad? Scientists growing medicine-filled plants to replace injections