NORTH PORT, Fla. (WFLA) – The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating an officer-involved shooting that took place inside a North Port home.
FDLE Special Operations Team along with agents from the FDLE Fort Myers Regional Operations Center served a narcotics search warrant Friday around 8:30 p.m.
According to the FDLE, while searching a house located on San Lorenzo Avenue in North Port, agents were confronted by a male suspect armed with a machete.
Agents then shot the suspect who was identified as 57-year-old Fernando Mora.
The FDLE says agents called paramedics and provided first aid to Mora, however, he was later pronounced dead at the scene.
No agents were injured.
Agents from FDLE’s Office of Executive Investigations, in conjunction with the Tampa Bay Regional Operations Center, are investigating.
FDLE agents will determine the facts of what happened and will turn the case over the state attorney’s office who will decide whether criminal charges should be filed. Agents involved have been placed on administrative leave per FDLE policy.
- Abandoned newborn found dead in freezing weather; mother questioned
- Trump: Impeachment has been ‘very hard on my family’
- Browns star Garrett facing NFL discipline after outburst
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Stormy start to Friday; cooler air for the weekend
- Dogs seized in September to find forever homes on ‘adoption day’ Sunday