SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A woman was shot and killed by a deputy Sunday after she refused orders to drop a knife following an incident in Sarasota.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office responded to a reported battery in the 4000 block of Dyer Lane around 5 p.m.
The suspect, 63-year-old Adrean Stephenson had left the location and was armed with a knife. She was later found on foot near the intersection of Dyer Lane and Corey Road.
According to the sheriff’s office, Stephenson brandished the knife and confronted deputies. She refused orders to drop the knife, so deputies deployed a taser, but it was ineffective.
After Stephenson continued to ignore their demands, she was shot by a deputy and died at the scene.
No other injuries
No one else was injured during the incident.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Stimulus check, $600-per-week jobless benefit included in new virus aid proposal
- Cyberattack hobbles major hospital chain’s US facilities
- Trump receives third nomination for Nobel Peace Prize
- Lightning strikes Zephyrhills mobile home, family of five left homeless
- Halloween scheduled as NASA, SpaceX’s next crewed launch