SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Sarasota County deputies are currently investigating the drowning and death of a child.
Deputies say the drowning happened around 6:30 p.m. at Siesta Key public beach when witnesses say they saw several children struggling in the current roughly 100 yards offshore.
Adults began to swim to the children to assist them, according to deputies. One child was brought to shore unresponsive and was taken to a local hospital, where the child died.
The other children were treated at the scene.
No information was given on the age of the children.
If you have any information about this situation, please contact the Criminal Investigations Section at 941-861-4900 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 941-366-8477, online at www.sarasotacrimestoppers.com.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Masks will be required in Hillsborough schools when classes resume, superintendent says
- Stimulus check update: Report says White House eyeing $1 trillion package
- Marine Corps says shooting reported at California base
- President Trump to visit Florida this week
- DeSantis holds press conference amid surging coronavirus cases