SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – With a cold front moving through Tampa Bay, Sarasota County Emergency Management officials have decided to provide cold weather sheltering for those in need.
Below are the shelters that are opening:
- Salvation Army – Center of Hope, 1400 10th St., Sarasota
- Intake will begin at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. The front porch will re-open at 4:30 a.m. and remain open until 5 a.m.
- New Hope Community Church, 5600 S. Biscayne Dr., North Port
- Shelter will open at 8 p.m.
Emergency Management officials also remind residents that pets should not be left outside during the cold weather. Citizens who need to be outside overnight or during the early morning hours are encouraged to dress in several warm layers and limit skin exposure to the wind.
Fire department officials are advising residents to use caution when heating their home, as the risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning increase during very cold weather.
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 or visit www.scgov.net.
- Tampa search dog helps in Puerto Rico following earthquakes
- Mother dog found on side of road pulling crate with her 4 puppies inside
- Storm Team 8 Forecast: Warm Friday ahead of a cold front set to cool weekend temps
- Grieving mother spreads message for Tampa Bay drivers to ‘move over’ for emergency vehicles
- Special needs facility in Texas ready to cheer on ‘best friend’ Patrick Mahomes in Super Bowl