You can find the latest on the investigation involving Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie here. Download the WFLA app for breaking news push alerts and sign up for breaking news email alerts.
NORTH PORT, Fla. (WFLA) — As authorities scale back the search for Brian Laundrie, the two families involved in the case are addressing the media this week.
The FBI is now leading the search for Laundrie, the missing fiancé of Gabby Petito. A reward for information leading to his whereabouts is up to $30,000. North Port police on Monday said the search will be “scaled back and targeted based on intelligence.”
Laundrie is a person of interest in Petito’s death, which has been ruled a homicide. He was last seen by his family on Sept. 14.
On Monday, Laundrie’s family responded to accusations about them knowing where their son was located.
“Chris and Roberta Laundrie do not know where Brian is,” the family’s attorney Steve Bertolino said in a statement Monday. “The speculation by the public and some in the press that the parents assisted Brian in leaving the family home or in avoiding arrest on a warrant that was issued after Brian had already been missing for several days is just wrong.”
The statement came after a handful of protesters gathered outside their North Port home, sounding airhorns and yelling “Justice for Gabby!”
“Quit hiding behind attorneys, and tell them what they need to know,” one woman shouted at their home on Monday.
At one point, Laundrie’s mother called police. Officers arrived and were heard telling protesters to keep the peace.